- 2 minutes reading time
12 Simple Ways to Keep your Appliances Energy Efficient
Everyone looks for ways to be more energy efficient, and it seems like every year manufacturers come out with even more energy efficient appliances. Did you know there are ways to reduce your energy consumption whether you have energy star certified appliances or not? Here are 12 simple tips to keep your appliances energy efficient.
1. Don’t use a small pot on a large burner. You use up to 40 percent less energy by using a small pot on the small burner instead.
2. Clean your burners and your microwave regularly so food cooks more efficiently.
3. Don’t rinse your dishes before loading your dishwasher and you will give a family of four enough water to drink for a lifetime.
4. Let your dishes air dry instead of using your dishwasher’s heat cycle.
5. Move your refrigerator away from other appliances. Setting your fridge next to heat-generating appliances like your stove makes it work harder and shortens its life.
6. Replace the rubber seal around your refrigerator to lessen the strain on your appliance and decrease your energy bill.
7. Let any leftover food cool before placing it in the fridge. The heat from the food revs up the refrigerator and makes it work harder to maintain the proper temperature.
8. Keep the door closed. Don’t ponder what you want to eat or drink with the refrigerator open. By doing so, your refrigerator is fighting against the external environment to do its job.
Washer and Dryer
9. Ensure you always wash full loads of laundry. The less you use your washer, the less energy you use.
10. Wash your clothes with cold water and you'll cut your energy use in half.
11. Clean your lint filter regularly to maintain air circulation.
12. Avoid using the dryer when you can by air-drying your clothes, and set your dryer to a lower setting to reduce the amount of energy you use.
These simple tips will not only reduce your energy bill, but they will also extend the life of your appliances. Should you need one of your appliances repaired, call Professional Appliance Repair. We have the experience and expertise to diagnose and fix your appliances so that you can get the maximum use out of them.